"The greatest persecution of the Church does not come from external enemies, but is born of sin within the church"-Pope Benedict xvi

Friday 4 November 2011

I am your Father.

This week our Priest announced that he no longer wishes to be addressed as Father. His decision is based on Matthew 23:9-"Call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father,who is in heaven".
Instead he wishes to be addressed as Pastor. This decision came about after much reflection on this Bible passage.
I am much saddened by this. I believe such a decision waters down the vocation of the Priest from a spiritual father into something much less. Father identifies one instantly as a Catholic Priest, and all that implies,good or bad. Shedding the term is akin to a sort of spiritual contraception-not wanting to accept the spiritual fatherhood that is the Priesthood.

 St Paul, said,"I became your Father in Christ Jesus". I don't want a Priest who is an entertainer, an administrator,or even to be popular. I want a Priest to help me get to heaven,even if it means being politically incorrect and unpopular, to guide and instruct just like our Fathers do at home. Yes Pastor, you are my Father.

1 comment:

Leonie said...

I am so with you...