"The greatest persecution of the Church does not come from external enemies, but is born of sin within the church"-Pope Benedict xvi

Thursday 2 June 2011

What the Anglicans have got,that we haven't.

Aside from nicer church buildings,that is, (although many were originally Catholic churches anyway)
We visted Llandaf Cathedral today,mostly because it is quite nice to look at,and we had almost one hour to kill,while my dd was at the BBC up the road. It actually had a great many features that many of our Catholic churches have sadly dispensed with-like statues-including Our Lady, and a beautiful Tryptych. What struck me most was that each of the altars had altar rails. I saw nobody outside protesting against such an archaic idea,or complaining that such things were divisive. Nobody complained how they got in the way either,in fact they sort of made you want to stop and kneel awhile. And yet these guys don't actually have Christ present Body,Blood,Soul and Divinity like we do, Holy Communion is merely a symbol, a "sharing", a communal celebration.
The first time I set eyes on communion rails was in my Husband's Anglican parish. Yes,another anglican parish with communion rails. My local Anglican parish also has them-go figure!
I have rarely seen Altar rails in the many catholic Churches I have attended,unless it is a Latin Mass.
Perhaps in our efforts to be mose ecumenical,we should think about restoring Altar rails,after all,we don't want to be divisive,do we?

No comments: